Is that a Christmas Movie?
"Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs..." — John McClane, "Die Hard"
If you're a fan of the 06010, then you know that much of the Friday preview centered on favorite Christmas movies. The great Matthew Berry shared that his is "Die Hard," and also shared that he got some push back when he mentioned that because others don't feel "Die Hard" even qualifies as a Christmas movie.
I get this from time-to-time as well. "Die Hard" is one of my favorite movies of all time, and it's also one of my favorite Christmas movies. But some people don't get it. I'll grant you it's not "Elf" or "It's A Wonderful Life," but it is a Christmas movie. Here's why:
* It takes place on Christmas Eve. In fact, "Die Hard 2" is also set on Christmas. It's not as good a movie, but they are both Christmas movies.
* It takes place at an office Christmas Party. Are you going to tell me that's not relevant? It's like the newly released "Office Christmas Party," except with guns. I mean, come on.
* It includes Christmas music. Because it's a Christmas movie.
* And, as Matthew Berry noted, it has a lot of themes about family and holidays that are the crux of all Christmas movies.
So this Christmas, if you want to capture the spirit of the season, go ahead and pop in "Die Hard." And in case that's not your cup of tea, here's a few other recommendations:
*To prep for family gatherings: "Christmas Vacation" Nothing goes right for Clark Griswold, but it doesn't dampen his holiday spirit.
* Christmas Romance: "Love Actually" I love this movie. And, yes, this, too, is a Christmas movie. It's also a fascinating and beautifully told story.
* For laughs: "Elf" Will Ferrell movies don't get any better than this. This is a holiday classic.
* For the meaning of the season: "It's A Wonderful Life" There's a reason this is such a classic.
*The best option: "A Charlie Brown Christmas" For more than 50 years, this has been the Christmas Movie GOAT.